Thursday 17 June 2010

Garden Of A Lifetime...



The way that the outside of home is put together is as important as the inside, in my view. A beautifully put together garden (whether large or small) provides a sense of flow from out to in - a transition - an aesthetic softening, if you like. I've been completely besotted by beautiful gardens for a while now (although mine is a bit of a shambles I have to admit). There is something uplifting and enriching by being surrounded by plants - even just a token gesture. My mother lives in an apartment - with a very small balcony space - but lined along the edges are her 'darlings' - layers and layers of flowering plants in pots that have been painted to blend with her interior. She tends her 'darlings' like they are her own children and they flourish because of it. One day, I hope to have a garden that I really love. The farm is such a sprawling space, it's difficult to know where to begin. But, slowly I am beginning to build a plan in my mind of how and where to start the project. To help the process, I'm constantly turning to other gardens that inspire and delight. Dame Elisabeth Murdoch's garden is one. Although I have never been, I pour over every page in her beautiful book (Garden of a Lifetime) - and have gleaned many ideas from there (most prominently, that one needs a full time gardener if one is going to embark on a grand garden!). As well, I always turn to the Petersham Nurseries in London. Although I've never been I am always so inspired by the pics that display on their site. Like these with glass conservatory and all. Ah to dream! But realities begin with a dream, don't they?

19 comments:

1 Funky Woman said...

Now these are really some dream gardens! I sure hope your dream comes true!

Jossie said...

I remember a quote once about gardens being places where you let your soul go walking for inspiration - so true. Good luck with your plans - it'll be a project of love, pure and simple.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful place...
Gorgeous gardens are such a labour of love aren't they? I have some serious garden dreams, and am slowly but surely getting closer to them!
:) Flick

red ticking said...

a garden can be quite overwhelming but with inspiration as this... you will have your perfect garden...beautiful...xx

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

I'd love a nice stroll through these grounds...beautiful.

Sarah ~ A Beach Cottage said...

sigh i miss those places!

catherine shields said...

I too am a Petersham Nurseries perv. Isn't great you can visit these places online and save on the airfare?

life in a pink fibro said...

So beautiful. My dream has always been for a walled garden, like in The Secret Garden. The Fibro is not really the place for it, but one day...

Tracey said...

Beautiful!

Hey i just made you my 'favourite blog Friday' and used some images. Hope that's OK. ;)

MANDY said...

That second one is so great !!!

Unknown said...

That top picture is gorgeous! I completely agree, I actually think an outdoor garden is an important part of interior design! I love looking outside and seeing my container garden through the windows, it's one of my favorite things!

Kendall said...

Living in NYC, I really miss having outdoor space all to myself! These are beautiful examples of gardens!!

Thanks for checking out my blog. I've been working as an interior designer for three years, and your blog is really inspiring!

I've become a follower of your blog. I'd love it if you want to follow mine!

Have a great weekend.
kendallsimmons.blogspot.com

Kalee said...

Lovely post! I just discovered your charming blog and am so thrilled! Off to explore more...

Anonymous said...

This is a fantastic garden!

butiksofie said...

What a cute little girl and the garden looks amazing!Anja

Bailey@ peppermintbliss said...

Oh how I love a good garden. We just met with our landscape architect to put the finishing touches on our year long home renovation, and I nearly started crying it was so amazing to see that final piece of the puzzle come together! I absolutely cannot wait to enjoy a cocktail in my garden, or any of these for that matter!

Kelly Green said...

yes - gardens and gardening feed the soul! KG

Rose Gold said...

That is more like a paradise more than a home. from the entrance to the garden inside, it is truly heavenly! I want to pay a visit to that place. lol. If I am allowed to, of course. Now, I am starting to get fired up to get my garden at its most beautiful status! lol

la la Lovely said...

Oh this garden & home is a dream. I hope to visit Petersham Nurseries one day too. Can't wait to see what you do with your garden. Thanks for visiting my blog!
x Trina