Friday 6 May 2011

An Old Mill..



oswalds mill
There's something rather divine about all things stone - don't you find? I'm simply in love it - and am trying to infuse as much of it around my home - in the gardens and such. Joni, our stonemason (and Hayden his offsider) is lovingly transforming our garden into a beautiful labyrinth of stone. And I'm in love with it. I love that something can have such majesty and grandeur whilst still projecting a cosy and warm feeling. This beautiful old mill in Pennsylvania has such a grand and sensitive tone. It's grand, but rustic. And that bridge? I think I'm in love...

6 comments:

Tracey said...

Gorgeous...and so French!

Angie said...

My husband built a stone wall in our garden this Easter. We collected flat rocks from our property, some of which the tractor was only just able to lift. We left 3 small openings which we installed down lights into. We are eventually making the area into an outdoor kitchen with Pizza Oven and fire pit.

meenal @ maison marigold said...

these images are beautiful..straight out of some great historic novel! thanks for sharing shannon..i would love you to check out my daughter's room on my blog today! have a lovely day! xx meenal

beachvintage.com said...

This picture reminds me of that movie....with Russell Crowe where he inherits a vineyard in France....I cannot remember the name of it god damn it ! The stone buildings and walls were amazing.

Unknown said...

That Mill is very beautiful. Imagine the work that went into building it - and the bridge! Amazing too how they stand the test of time. Have fun watching your stone walls grow out of the landscape around you :)

Unknown said...

love stone! houses, walls, garden elements. gives a sense of age like nothing else!